In the beginning, a skeleton National Library was established in1951under the defunct of Archives and Libraries. In the year 1954, Liaquat Memorial Library was amalgamated with the National Library and named as Liaquat National Library. However, after shifting in the new capital, and the Liaquat National Library was again renamed as Liaquat Memorial Library. The scheme for the establishment of National Library of Pakistan at Islamabad was initially approved by ECNEC in 1963. However, construction of the Library building could not be taken in hand due to delay in the approval of the building designs and because of the low priority assigned to the project. Library designs were approved in April, 1980 and construction work started in 1982. Finally ENCEC revised and approved the project of the establishment of National Library of Pakistan in September, 1985at the capital cost of Rs.130.322 millions. Most of the civil works were finished by June, 1988 as scheduled and library collections and staff moved into the new building during the same year. The caretaker Prime Minister of Pakistan Mion-ud-Din Ahmad Qureshi inaugurated the library on August 24,1993 and its door were opened to the public.